What to Bring to Your Class
The following is a list of items that you should bring with you to your class.
In addition to physical items, please have all your textbook reading completed before the first day of class.
Please be ready to go at 9:00 am. on the first day. PLEASE BE PROMPT!!!!
Items for all ASA Courses
- Appropriate clothing for the weather.
Please do not wear jeans with rivets, as they scratch the
boat. On the bay, the weather can vary greatly. We recommend dressing
in layers. A good waterproof windbreaker is a good idea. Foul weather gear
is not necessary at this level, but is a good investment should you choose
to purchase it. West Marine is a good source for quality sailing gear,
a store near us here in Point Richmond.
- Boat shoes--non-skid and no black soles
- Hat with tether
- Sailing gloves
(We generally have West Marine sailing gloves for sale at our office.)
- Personal Flotation Devices are provided, but we encourage you to use your
own if you have one. (We generally have inflatable PFDs for sale at
our office at a discount to students).
- Lunches: Please bring your lunch for the first day. Your class may choose to stop for lunch on future days, but that can be discussed with your instructor on day one.
Basic Coastal Cruising
In addition, please bring:
Bring your lunch for day one. The class will plan meals for days two and three and each student will be responsible for a portion of the meals.
It is often cool and wet during the night and early morning, so be ready
- As this is an overnight trip, please bring a sleeping bag, toiletries,
a change of clothes and any other necessities, such as prescription medication.
- Dinner and breakfast will be shared with the other students. Please bring enough
food for 4 people. For evening meals, students will prepare a hot
meal for dinner including vegetables and dessert. Hot meal suggestions
include spaghetti, meat loaf, stew or soup, casseroles, etc. Also plan
a hot meal for breakfast. Breakfast suggestions include scrambled eggs,
French toast, oatmeal, etc. Fruit, instant coffee and juice should
be included. Cooking, serving, and eating utensils are onboard. Meal preparation
should not take more than an hour. Meals can be prepared ahead of time
- Alcohol is only permitted after the boat is secured for the evening.